COVID-19 Update

The Municipality of East Ferris is taking additional health and safety measures against COVID-19.

COVID-19 Regular Updates and Information
Municipality of East Ferris
Home | Contact | Search

Property Tax Frequently Asked Questions

Where do my taxes go?

Your property taxes pay for the services and operations of the Municipality of East Ferris and have two separate levies, municipal and education. There is also a separate amount for the garbage and recycling fees that appear on your final tax bill each year. Your property taxes also go to third party agencies, boards and commissions. These include but are not limited to, Cassellholme, North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit, OPP, District of Nipissing Social Services Administration Board and North Bay Mattawa Conservation Authority. 

The portion kept by the municipality funds road maintenance and construction, fleet maintenance, parks and recreation facility maintenance and operations, fire protection and inspection services, general government and administration, by-law enforcement, planning and building services.   

How are my taxes calculated?

The standard formula in Ontario to calculate your taxes is the tax rate multiplied by the assessed value.

The Municipality’s interim tax bill sent out in March of each year is based on 50% of the previous year’s taxes levied.  The current year’s budget is adopted by Council in early spring of each year and then used to calculate the final tax bill. Final tax bills are mailed out in July of each year and are based on the final tax rates set for the current year. 

How can I calculate what my taxes will be on my new home or one I am considering to buy?

The standard formula for taxes is the tax rate multiplied by the assessed value of the property. 

For a detailed breakdown of your property taxes try our Property Tax Calculator.

How are tax rates calculated?

When the Municipality's operating budget for the year has been passed by Council, the amount is determined by taking the total expenditures less non-taxation revenues. This calculation is the amount that is to be levied to the ratepayers.

To calculate the residential tax rate, the amount required to be levied to the ratepayers is divided by the total weighted assessment.  Non-residential tax rates are determined by multiplying each property class' respective tax ratio and the residential tax rate.

The Province of Ontario sets the Education Tax Rate.

How is my property assessed? 

The Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) determines the value of your property.  The value is typically based on over twenty (20) factors including: location, current market value, living area, age of building, lot size and quality of construction

What if I disagree with the assessed value of my property?

If you disagree with the assessed value of your property, you may file a Request for Reconsideration with the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC). Please visit to learn more. 

The Municipality is not able to change the assessment of your property until MPAC has instructed the changes. 

Where can I pay my taxes?

You may pay your taxes at the Municipal Office located at 390 Highway 94 in Corbeil, at your banking institution, through telephone/internet banking or through your mortgage company.  The Municipality also offers the convenience of pre-authorized payment plans.  To learn more visit the Method of Payment page

What is the penalty/interest rate on tax arrears?

Penalty and interest is charged on overdue taxes as authorized by Section 345 of the Municipal Act. A penalty of 1.25% is added to overdue accounts on the 1st day of default and interest at 1.25% per month is added on the 1st of each month thereafter.  To avoid penalty/interest charges, please ensure that your payment is received by the due date.

Please note that we will not reverse interest charges that have been applied to tax accounts unless it was applied due to an administrative error..

I am selling my house and the closing date will be in the middle of the tax billing period.  How do I determine what portion of taxes I must pay?

When you sell your house, your lawyer will prepare a Statement of Adjustments which will divide the portion of the tax bill that the you are responsible for and the portion the new owner is required to pay. The lawyer typically prepares the necessary payments.  The current owner is expected to pay all installments due up to the closing date.

How do I obtain a tax account information?

You can get a tax statement by contacting the Finance Department.  There is a $20.00 fee for official reprints of your tax bill and a $5.00 fee for tax status inquiries.  

Municipality of East Ferris, 390 Hwy 94, Corbeil, ON. P0H 1K0
Copyright © 2020 Municipality of East Ferris
Site designed and maintained by
East Ferris Weather