The Finance Department is responsible for providing financial reporting, policies and procedures, services and support to other municipal departments and the East Ferris Public Library. The key responsibilities of the department include:
- providing information, reports and analysis to Council and Department Managers regarding financial operations;
- establishing and maintaining accounting systems and procedures relating to financial activities for municipal operations;
- billing and collecting municipal taxes;
- preparing the operating and capital budgets;
- processing accounts receivable and accounts payable;
- managing cash, investments and borrowing of funds;
- overseeing asset management planning;
- long-term financial planning including debt management;
- managing the annual audit function; and
- preparing the annual financial statements.
The Treasurer oversees the Financial Services Department. The Treasurer is appointed by Council and reports to the Chief Administrative Officer. In accordance with Section 286 of the Municipal Act, 2001, the Treasurer is responsible for handling all of the financial affairs of the municipality on behalf of and in the manner directed by Council.
Jason H. Trottier, HBBA, CPA, CMA
Chief Administrative Officer/Treasurer